July 31, 2014

The Romanovs: Uncovered

I can say without any reservations whatsoever that John Boyne is now on my shortlist of favorite authors. The House of Special Purpose is an exemplary work of historical fiction that had me hooked from the very first page. The main character, Georgy Jachmenev, is a man that you have no difficulty relating to and that makes the story that much more powerful. The narrative begins in 1981 London and leaps around through time from World War I in Russia. (I've discussed before how this narrative format can be jarring unless done correctly and this is a perfect example of a story smoothly transitioning so that the reader remains in the story.) A nobody from a small Russian village, Georgy, is elevated to personal bodyguard to the future Tsar of Russia, Alexei (the youngest son). I don't want to give too much of the story away because its unfolding majesty, tragedy, and revelation should be experienced without being spoiled. I will only say that if you're looking for a story that has romance, bravery, suspense, and heart then this is the book for you. Also, if you have any interest in the history of Russia and the Romanovs then this is a must read for you.

Next up is Brida by Paulo Coelho. I'm sure many of you have heard of this author and some of you may even have read some of his work such as The Alchemist (which is fantastic by the way). This story is about a woman exploring the depths of magic and her place in the magical realms. Fans of Coelho know that he is a master at beautifully weaving tales full of awe and spirituality. I'm sure this will be an effortlessly executed novel which will touch the innermost regions of my heart and soul. I'll be sure to let you know in my next blog post!!

For those of you just visiting me for the first time, WELCOME!! For those who have been around from the beginning, HEY THERE BUDDY!! I hope that you'll do me the great honor of officially 'following' my blog so that you'll be updated whenever I make a new post. Also, I'd really appreciate it. :-) Until next time, HAPPY READING!!

No comments:

Post a Comment