November 15, 2014

Not every book is for every reader

It's important to remember that you're not going to absolutely love every single book that you decide to read. It's a mistake to force yourself to read a book that you're not totally invested in reading. Of course, if it's an assignment for school then it's unavoidable (which is a shame really because it discourages fledgling lifelong readers). However, if you're reading for pleasure then there's no reason whatsoever to read something that you're not finding thoroughly engaging. This is why I'm calling it quits on Jane Austen's England. Perhaps I'll try to revisit the book at another time but honestly it's been days since I picked it up and I don't see that changing anytime soon. That isn't to say that it was a horrible book just that it wasn't my cup of tea. :-)

So rather than dwelling on a book that I decided to abandon I've chosen a book on a completely different track. I'm going to be reading Lily Dale: The Town That Talks to the Dead by Christine Wicker. This book discusses the history of a town called Lily Dale in New York which spiritualists believe is ripe with ghosts. This is a true story of people who believe so strongly in the presence of the dead among the living that they travel from miles away to consult mediums there to talk to these figures from the past. I like that the reviews on the back are from lesser-known news sources such as the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel and Fort Worth Star Telegram yet this is a national bestseller.

No comments:

Post a Comment