March 11, 2016

This is not Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters

At first blush, I didn't think I was cool enough to totally get this book. It starts off fast-paced and in your face. The humor is quite specialized...I don't know how else to describe it except 'hipster'. That doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy it, however. One of my favorite booktubers (look it up), Ariel Bissett, kept talking about the graphic novel SuperMutant Magic Academy by Jillian Tamaki and how much she loved it. She flipped through its pages and the artwork which is primarily in black and white really appealed to me. The story follows a group of high school seniors as they navigate their way through the pitfalls of youth...except they're in a school full of mutants and magicians. After a time you forget that it's unusual for a character to be able to change its shape at will or travel through space. It becomes more about the relationships between the characters. My three favorites were Frances, Marsha, and Cheddar. Their cynical worldview and sarcastic wit had me chuckling with glee while on the train. Frances is a performance artist whose expression changes little from panel to panel. Marsha is in love with her female best friend and instead of telling her derides her at every opportunity. Cheddar just wants to get out of high school and undermines his teachers every chance that he gets (like Bender in The Breakfast Club). There are poignant moments about the fleetingness (I Googled this and its a real word so there) of youth and the seeming insignificance that most teenagers (and adults) have felt at one time or another. I do want to warn those with sensitive sensibilities because there is vulgar language and dirty jokes but since this is about teenage angst I think it's to be expected. (When does that kind of humor cease to be funny? For me, it't still going quite strong.) Overall, a quick, witty read that I think will appeal to those with an ability to laugh at themselves.

Here are two quick peeks:

The smoker is Frances. I love her.

See what I mean about the wit?

**If you're interested in buying this book or any books really, you can click here or here. The first will re-direct you to AbeBooks and the second will re-direct you to The Book Depository. These are great websites for purchasing books (AbeBooks carries inexpensive used and out-of-print books and The Book Depository ships free everywhere in the world). Full disclosure: I will receive a commission on all sales made by following either of these links. I wouldn't recommend a site that I didn't use and you are under no obligation to purchase anything. :-) **

No comments:

Post a Comment