February 7, 2017

A school for blood drinkers

I saw a trailer for a movie called Vampire Academy ages and ages ago and even though it looked super corny I knew I would have to watch it. It was exactly what I wanted it to be...and then I discovered it was based off of a book series by Richelle Mead. Firstly, the makers of that film were very faithful to the first book in the series (a rarity, I think you'll agree). Secondly, if you're a fan of books which take place in boarding schools then you're likely to find this series right up your alley. Thirdly, Mead has created a new kind of vampire lore which I always find enjoyable especially as a long-time fan of vampire stories/media. Essentially, she's developed a whole subculture where 'vampire' is not even the preferred label. Fourthly, if you enjoyed Twilight because of the romantic aspect then you need look no further because judging from the first book in the series Vampire Academy is the racy cousin of Twilight that your mom warns you about. If you want a more academic vampire story along the lines of Anne Rice or Bram Stoker this probably isn't going to fill the void for you. However, if you're looking for a book that ticks off the "magical beings who act like bratty teens at a super secret boarding school" box then you need look no further because Vampire Academy definitely fits the bill. I haven't yet decided if I'll continue the series but if I do I'll be sure to let you know if it manages to stay at the bar that was raised by this first book. 8/10

**If you're interested in buying this book or any books really, you can click here or here. The first will re-direct you to AbeBooks and the second will re-direct you to The Book Depository. These are great websites for purchasing books (AbeBooks carries inexpensive used and out-of-print books and The Book Depository ships free everywhere in the world). Full disclosure: I will receive a commission on all sales made by following either of these links. I wouldn't recommend a site that I didn't use and you are under no obligation to purchase anything. :-) **

No comments:

Post a Comment